Amazon FireStick offers a free app called Fire TV Remote that a lot of people aren’t aware of. I was quite happy to discover this app as it made my life easier with FireStick in a few ways. Therefore, I felt the need to write this article so that you too could learn about the Amazon Fire TV Remote app and its benefits. This app is available on Android and iOS through the official app stores.
This app is available for both major mobile platforms Android and iOS. In this article I have tried to cover everything you need to know about the app. Keep reading!
Why Do I Need Amazon Fire Tv Remote App?
When I first started using FireStick, I hadn’t heard about the Amazon Fire TV Remote App. One problem I encountered while using the traditional FireStick remote was that it did not make typing any easy. The out-of-the-box remote is a minimalistic device and does not feature a keypad.
FireStick Mobile App Makes Typing Easy
FireStick presents you with an on-screen keyboard whenever there is a need to type. But, maneuvering the cursor with the direction buttons and punching in each character separately using the remote was far from convenient. So, I started looking out for an input device, a keyboard that could work with FireStick. I found quite a few, but I did not like the idea of spending money on something as basic as a keyboard, which would have been the part of the package.
As the luck would have it, I stumbled upon Amazon FireTV app for Android and iOS. I instantly downloaded the app to see what it could do for me. And, I discovered that it would let me type in FireStick through my smartphone. The best thing about the app was (and still is) that it is free.
So, one reason why you need the FireStick mobile app is that it will make your life much easier as far as typing is concerned.
FireStick Remote App Serves as a Backup Remote
Soon, I found another reason why I needed the app.
For some reason, my physical FireStick remote drains out the battery too fast. I usually have to replace the batteries every 15 days (but sometimes it lasts a bit longer).
One of the days when I hadn’t been acquainted with the Firestick app, I ran out of batteries in the middle of the night. Unfortunately, I did not have the spares either. So, I could not watch the movie I was planning to and had to wait for the next day to buy the batteries.
If I had known about the app, I could have used it as a remote.
If, for any reason, your FireTV remote doesn’t work or malfunctions, you could always use the FireStick app for mobile as a backup remote.
How Do I Get The Firestick/Fire TV Remote App?
This is easy. FireTV app is officially supported on Android and iOS platforms. This means, you can download the app from the app store of the device you are using.
To get FireStick app for Android, go ahead and open PlayStore. Search with the keywords “Amazon Fire TV Remote App”. If you want FireStick app for iOS, open the App Store instead and look up with the same set of keywords. Follow the on-screen instructions and install the app. It’s that easy!
How Do I Use Amazon Fire Tv Remote App?
You will first need to pair the FireStick app with the FireStick device. There are two important things to keep in mind:
- You must sign in to the app using the same Amazon account as your FireStick device
- The device on which you are using the FireStick app and your FireStick device must be connected to the same Wi-Fi
If you have forgotten which Amazon account you have used to sign in to FireStick, you can check it following the steps below:
- Select ‘Settings’ from the home-screen of firestick
- Click ‘My Account’
- You will see your signed in Amazon account under ‘My Account’
- If you wish to switch the Amazon account, click the current account and then on the next screen click ‘De-register’. Now, you can sign in with a different account
- Please note that “De registering” the account will make you lose all your installed apps and even some of your FireStick data
Signing in to your Amazon FireStick App
- Run the FireStick app once you have downloaded it. When you open the app for the first time, this is how the screen will look like. Go ahead and click ‘Sign in’ button on the bottom
- Enter your Amazon account credentials and click ‘Sign in’ button again
- The app will now look for the FireStick device (provided both are connected to the same Wi-Fi network). It will take only a few seconds for the app to find the device.
- When the app finds FireStick, it will list it on the screen. Tap on your device name and you will see the following window. This is how the FireStick remote app looks like when both the app and FireStick device have been synced
Let me now take you through the various parts of the remote app.
How to Use the Amazon Fire TV Remote App
Fire TV remote app is pretty straightforward. You get used to it in minutes.
As you can see, the bottom part of the app has the same layout of the buttons as the physical remote. It has Back, Home, Menu, Back, Play, and Forward buttons.
It is the upper part of the app we need to get familiar with. The top panel has 5 buttons.
- The leftmost button with 5 dots and 5 horizontal lines takes you back to the home-screen of the app where you can see the list of the available FireStick devices
- The button second from the left (cog icon) brings up a pop-up menu with two options – Sleep and Settings
- Pressing ‘Sleep’ will make your device sleep.
- Settings will open settings menu on your FireStick device on the TV.
- With the physical remote you must first go back to the FireStick home-screen and then select settings. But, the settings option on the remote acts as the shortcut and you don’t need to go back to the home-screen.
- The Mic button (third from the left) is on the FireTV remote app is for Alexa voice command and is the same as the Mic button on your physical remote. The only difference is that instead of holding down the button (as you do it on the physical remote), you just need to pull down the Mic icon once and give the voice command
The Grid icon (second from right) opens ‘Your Apps & Channels’ section (the list of your apps). Clicking this icon only opens the list of the apps on your mobile and not on your TV to which FireStick is connected
The rightmost button is the keypad icon. This is the option that lets you type into your FireStick device using your mobile’s keyboard.
For this option to work, you must have a text field active on FireStick
The middle section of the FireStick remote app is what you use for navigation. It works a lot like a touchpad. You can guide the FireStick interface with the movement of your finger. To open an item, select it and then tap the touchpad on the remote app.
This section of the app replaces the direction buttons and the Select button on the physical remote
WRAPPING UP on FIRE TV REMOTE APP
Having a Fire Stick remote app makes a lot of sense to me. It not only makes typing easy, I also have a backup remote in case I forget to buy the spare batteries. It also saves me money as I don’t have to buy an additional input device for FireStick. The remote app has all the functions that the physical remote offers and some extras too. All in all, I am glad I found the Fire TV remote for my device and highly recommend you download it on your mobile as well. If you have any suggestions or questions, please let us know through the comments section below.